Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Round 2 Game 2

Round 2 Game 2

I rested my head on Marc's shoulder as the plane to Pittsburgh took off.

"Tired?" he asked.

"Umhm, ya, I had some guy in my bed last night."

"I'll bet he was smokin hot too!" Marc added, and we both giggled.

"What's the plan for Pittsburgh?"

"You are going to apologize to Jordan."

"Caity!"

"What?"

"I know, I'm going to apologize to Jordan."

"That's better." I said snuggling in closer. His arm went around my shoulder.

"So that's it then, you're just going to fall asleep now?"

"Umhm. Unless...you wanna talk about Miss Sunshine."

"Miss Sunshine?" He asked and then realized I was talking about his mystery girl. "Go to sleep."

I leaned up and pulled away. "Why won't you tell me who she is? I want details Marc." I said firmly.

"There's nothing to say. I've given up on it."

"What? Why?"

"Now there's another guy. I think he can make her happy. He's good for her."

"Are you crazy? You freakin love her, and you're not going to tell

her."

"Ok so tell me what you would say right now if Hank told you he loves you."

"He's not going to tell me he loves me."

Frustration built in his eyes. "But you don't know that, maybe he does love you. Just answer the question."

"I guess I'd freak and get as far away from his as possible."

"Right, and I'm guessing that's how she would react to me."

"Ok then just sleep with her,” I said only half kidding.

"Caity! Is that all you ever think of?"

"What? I’m not just me being crude. I just figure if you're half as good at that as you are at kissing, she won't let you go." His face turned red instantly. "Think about it Marc."

"Go to sleep Caity," he said putting his arm around me.

"If you insist." I replied, and fell asleep a few minutes later.

I woke up as the plane started it's decent into Pittsburgh. I was now laying across the seat with my head in Marc's lap. I had a blanket on me, and Marc was playing with my hair. I smiled and gazed up at him. He didn't notice, as he was busy looking up at the skyline of Pittsburgh from the plane window. I closed my eyes and wondered why anyone would pass up Marc Staal. How could this girl not notice how amazing he is? How could she not jump at the chance to be loved by him? As much as I hoped Marc, (and the other single Staals) would always be single, I also knew how Marc was capable of loving, and he deserved to be loved back. I heard the announcement to prepare for landing, but I decided not to move. I just laid there with my eyes closed.

Marc brushed my hair from my face and traced my jawline. "Hey beautiful, time to get up."

My eyes opened, and I smiled at him. I loved it when he called me beautiful. I've been called beautiful countless time, by countless men, but something about him saying it gave me butterflies. I sat up and buckled my seat belt like a good little passenger. "Thanks for letting me sleep." I said.

He smiled at me and covered my hand with his.

---------------------

In the cab ride back to my apartment I checked the game scores. The Pen's lost to the nasty Capitals 3-4, but the Hurricanes won 3-0. My happiness and disappointment canceled each other out, as I shared the news with Marc.

"I love how wrapped up you get in our games," he said.

"How can I not get wrapped up in your games. God I was there when you guys were kids and just horsed around playing hockey in the back yard. Who knew you would all grow up to be so amazing? I wish I could be at every one of your games; Jordan's and Eric's too. I don't know what I'll do when Jared gets to the NHL." Marc laughed. "Why are you laughing at me?"

"I'm not laughing at you. I'm amazed by you." The look on his face was so sincere.

I checked my phone; I had two voice mails.

One was from Jordan, his voice defeated. "Hey Caitlin, by now you've probably seen the score. We're coming home tonight. We should be home around 1. I can't wait to see you. Oh and Jared's still with me."

Eric called. I wasn't surprised that he called, but I was by the message. "We won Caitlin, and I didn't even have my good luck charm with me. Listen, I talked to Jared. He said you're going to Pittsburgh. I've got a day off tomorrow, so I thought I'd take a

detour on my way home from Boston. I'll be there in the morning."

Typical of Eric to assume I'd be available to him. What am I going to do about that, especially with Marc here. I decided not to think about it.

Marc and I drank beer and watched movies while we waited for Jordan and Jared to get in. I heard the key go into the knob of the door and I jumped out of Marc's arms and ran to great the boys. "JORDAN!" I yelled.

He wrapped me into a huge hug holding me for a couple moments before

he whispered, "I'm sorry Caitlin." I gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Here's your surprise." I said pulling him toward the living room.

Marc stood up and Jordan's eyes got big. "You're not going to hit me again, are you?"

"I'm sorry Jordan. I jumped to conclusions." Marc gave Jordan a man hug.

"I owe you one," Jordan replied, "but you're forgiven for now. I need some Ovechkin tips."

Marc and Jordan sat down and talked hockey while I pulled Jared into my room.

"I have a problem Jared. It’s Eric."

"Oh dear God, what now?"

"He's coming here tomorrow morning. Did he tell you know he was coming?" I asked him.

"No, but he's been asking about you. Where you were, and where he can track you down."

"Jared, You know why he's coming. What am I going to do? Jordan would flip, and Marc is here."

"I don't know, do you really think he'd risk it now that Jordan knows?"

"That's a good point."

"Caitlin at some point you just have to say no to him."

I nodded in agreement, but couldn't figure out how I was going to do that.

Jordan was starving so we ordered Pizza and hung out. I just sat back watching Jordan, Marc and Jared interact. I loved how they could tease each other one moment, yet show an amazing amount of support the next. It reminded me of when I'd watch them from the bushes as a shy seven year old. In some ways they were every bit as intriguing to me now as they were fourteen years ago.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. I wondered who was calling me at 2:30 AM, but when I saw the name a smile spread on my face. I quietly walked to the balcony door and slid out. As I turned to shut the glass door behind me my eyes caught Marc's. I wasn't sure what I was seeing in them but whatever it was, it made him turn away quickly.

"Hi Stranger," Hank said in that beautiful accent.

"Hello," I replied more seductively than I intended.

"Since you haven't returned my other calls or texts I figured maybe a middle of the night call would get your attention."

"You really don't have any problem getting my attention." I teased.

"Caitlin, why are you avoiding me?"

"Hank, I'm sorry. But we're talking now, right? How's Sweden?"

"Good, but I really should have made you come with me."

"I've been to Sweden."

"Yes, but not with me."

"Mmm good point. Are you coming back to the states anytime soon?"

"Do you want me to?"

Careful how you answer, I told myself. "When you're ready." I said softly.

"I can't leave yet, but when I come back, I want to come back to you."

"Hank, I...I don't know, we've spent one weekend together. I'm just not sure, I'm ready for something more serious."

"Caitlin, I'm good for you. We are good together."

"That we are," I said smiling into the phone.

"I'll let you get some sleep, but I don't want you to forget about me."

"I don't think that's going to happen."

"Make sure you don't. Just a couple more weeks."

I sat there for a moment after our call a little panicked. What was I doing with Hank? Could I really be with just him? My mind wondered over all the men I'd been with, the fun I've had. The thought of being with one person just didn't seem like something I could do. It would be like setting myself up for failure, setting Hank and I up for failure. I wondered what it would do to my relationship with Eric. Hank knew about Eric but didn't mention it when we were together in Costa Rica. As my mind continued doubting everything between Hank and I, the sliding glass door opened.

Marc smiled at me. "Why are you out here by yourself? I thought you were on the phone."

"I was. I just wanted to think for a bit."

"Should I go?" he asked sincerely.

"No!" I said grabbing his hand and pulling him down to sit next to me on the balcony.

"Pittsburgh is really pretty. I always wondered how you chose to live here with Jordan instead of staying in Thunder Bay or you could have come to New York."

"Jordan asked me." I answered honestly.

"You two always were two peas in a pod. I hope he looks after you."

This comment got under my skin a little, and I stood up and leaned off the balcony overlooking the city. "I don't need anyone looking after me Marc. Why can't you understand that?" My tone was soft, but he knew his words bothered me.

It took only a moment for his arms to come around me from behind.

"Sorry, Caity. I'm just protective of you." He turned me around so I was facing him. "You know that right?"

"I guess, I just hate you thinking of me like I'm a little kid. You always look at me like that."

"Is that really what you see when I look at you?" His lips came down on my forehead.

"Don't you Marc? Don't you see the little girl you used to tease and chase around?"

Marc tilted my chin up and gave me a soft kiss on the lips, which I liked more than I should have. "That's not what I see," he said continuing to look into my eyes. I was feeling butterflies from his soft kiss, and I was afraid if I looked up at him he would see it written all over my face so I just looked down. "Don't you know how beautiful you are? Don't you see how every guy looks at you?"

"And that's not brotherly?"

"Caitlin!" he said, his hands going to his hair and tugging. "I can't have this conversation with you. I just can't."

"I don't mean to frustrate you." I could see how frustrated he actually was, and I could only assume this went back to the stupid girl thing from when we were kids. Why could I just not get him, and the even bigger question, why did he give me butterflies when he kissed me even with a little kiss like that.

"I know Caity. I know," he reached for me and snuggled me in under his chin.

My phone buzzed with a text and Marc's arms fell from around me. I looked at my phone, it was a text from Eric which I didn't feel comfortable reading in front of Marc so I jammed it back into my jeans' pocket.

"Was that the goalie?" he asked.

"Yes." I lied.

"Isn't he who called before when you came outside?” I nodded. “I think he's got it bad for you Caity."

"I'm not sure Hank and I are going to work out."

"Why?" he asked softly.

"I think he wants more from me than I am ready for." Marc gave me a look pleading for more details but I couldn't bring myself to talk to him about those details, especially when my mind couldn't help but go back to how much I keep wanting him to kiss me. Ah, this is Marc Staal I reminded myself. "You know what? It's late, I'm going to go to bed. Are Jordan and Jared asleep?"

"Ya Jared's on the couch and Jordan's in his room. Mind if I bunk with you?"

"Of course not." I said turning away from him and heading inside. Did I mind? No maybe I really wanted him to bunk with me.

I walked in grabbed shorts and tank and headed toward the bathroom. I got changed and checked my text from Eric.

My plane arrives at 7AM. I booked a room at the Hyatt. I'll see you there.

God he was presumptuous, but he did seem to have his bases covered. He wasn’t even planning to let his brother’s know I was there. Something about him coming to Pittsburgh to see just me gave me deep sense of longing for him.

I closed my phone and headed to my room. Marc was already in bed. I walked around to the other side and crawled in. As I expected Marc's arm swung around me and pulled me in. I took that spot under his chin and tried to fall asleep. Soon his breathing slowed, and I knew he was asleep.

There was no sleep coming to me that night. My mind was filled with thoughts of Eric, Hank and now Marc. It was becoming obvious to me that I was starting to have feelings for him. I always liked it when he held me but it never felt different then when Jordan or Jared held me. Now it was feeling different. Soon thoughts of Eric and Hank actually left and I thought about the two times Marc and I kissed. There was so much emotion in those kisses, emotions I didn't want to have, especially toward Marc who already had this girl he was in love with. Having feelings for Marc would ruin everything.

"I am stronger than this. I can control this," I told myself over and over again. Soon my phone buzzed, 5:45. I was planning to go to bed to think about whether or not I should meet Eric. The distraction of Marc's arms around me made it impossible, and now it was time to go. This is what I needed, a distraction. I needed a big distraction, and Eric could give me that.

I wiggled out of Marc's arms taking a deep breath wishing in some ways that I would have fallen asleep and just slept through my alarm so I wasn't heading to a hotel to meet Eric.

As I pulled away Marc's eyes opened. Noticing it was still dark he asked what time it was.

“5:45. Go back to sleep.” I said slipping my jeans on.

“Where are you going?”

“I need some air. Don’t worry I’ll be fine.”

“I’ll come with you.”

3 comments:

  1. Ahh! Yes! Don't let her go see Eric Marc! Don't!

    Urghhhh. When is she gonna realize that she is "Miss Sunshine"?

    I really like her and Hank together but I'm team Marc! Sorryy :S

    I can't wait for your next update! I like this story a lot and you always keep me wanting more! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this story! Marc should not let her go see Eric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this story is excellent jfdksajfdkl;sa
    love it!

    ReplyDelete